Monday, November 3, 2014

Spotify and Algorithms

I know I have been on a Spotify kick lately, but it's simply because I love it. It's better than Pandora, and it doesn't cost like iTunes. With all the use that I have been getting with my amazing music app, it got me thinking, is there an algorithm to the was Spotify shuffles your songs for you? I seem to always shuffle my music in a way that it makes me feel like I won the prize from the cracker jack box. You never know what you might get next. In these thoughts I have noticed that a large number of the same songs continue to play and then suddenly a random song that I have no idea of what it is or why it is on my playlist, suddenly begins to play.

Out of my own curiosity I Googled that exact question and came up with a blog written by a man named Lukas Polacek, who gave the breakdown much better than I could. For the answer to the huge question I know you are all dying to know, I have posted his blog below. I hope everyone enjoys! https://labs.spotify.com/2014/02/28/how-to-shuffle-songs/

No comments:

Post a Comment